Financial Accounting, Budgeting, and Analysis
Company: The Morning Star Company
Location: Los Banos
Posted on: April 2, 2021
The Morning Star Company, and its affiliates, operate three tomato
processing facilities in Central California, processing 35% to 40%
of the California crop, plus tomato transplanting, farming,
harvesting and trucking operations, with employment of
approximately 400 year-round and 2,500 seasonal colleagues and
annual sales of approximately $900 million. Our affiliate, Lucero
Farms, works in joint ventures with other farmers to produce,
principally, processing tomatoes as well as associated rotational
crops. The company is known worldwide for its innovation and
We are organizationally structured through a system we term Mission
Focused Self-Management Our company is operated by colleagues
without titles or an appointed hierarchy of authority. Authority
relative to other colleagues' activities is lateral, with each
colleague's Mission as their guiding principle of action, and
respect, influence and success having to be built based on each
colleague's competency, integrity, effort, persistence and
straight-forward persuasiveness. Although we have grown
significantly, we intend to maintain a culture of individual
responsibility and self-management.
The Mission for this colleague will be provide all financial and
operating information required by internal and external customers
for them to successfully accomplish their missions and commitments
in the Williams processing facility and all of our San Joaquin
Valley agricultural supply chain enterprises.
This colleague will require a strong business, finance and
accounting background, excellent analytical skills, a creative
approach to problem solving, fundamental and persuasive leadership
skills and extraordinary drive in order to ensure continually
advancing our position within the industry. This individual will
work with associated Colleagues who provide initiative for major
elements of the business
Specific Responsibilities and Activities
- Personally prepare and ensure the accuracy and timeliness of
monthly cash flow forecasts and budgets for Los Banos, Cal Sun
South and Lucero South.
- Prepare Quarterly and Annual Financial Statements.
- Maintain timely reconciliation of key GL accounts (Balance
Sheet and Income Statement).
- Develop and maintain Lucero joint venture books and records,
budgets and forecasts.
- Ensure assets and inventory are maintained and tracked within
and among entities.
- Develop, document and maintain financial processes.
- Analyze all operating and financial information and recommend
and advocate changes to operations which will improve results.
- Communicate financial and operating performance to appropriate
- Partner with operating colleagues to develop responsible
budgets for operations and financial performance.
- Partner with operating colleagues in performing periodic
Business Unit reviews.
- Review all Cap Ex proposals and work with relevant colleagues
to identify savings opportunities and calculate return on
- Perform other analysis as needed or requested.
- Ensure all contracts/contractual commitments are made properly
between internal and external customers and that processes are in
place to assure such results.
- Maintain and develop effective and economical information
- Proactively provide information to fellow colleagues in a
timely and accurate manner. Information should run through the
enterprise like veins through the body.
- Work closely with related colleagues to develop and track key
performance measurements for each operating unit.
- Help grow our culture of self-management incorporating the use
of key information to drive financial accountability and
- Evaluate and improve business processes.
- Develop and manage Colleague relationships which support your
Mission, ensuring appropriate supporting colleague talent and
ensuring you have a thorough knowledge of the strategies and
affairs of all responsible operations-"hear the drums beat, know
what those signals mean and what their strategic, tactical and
financial ramifications are." Qualifications
The successful candidate would likely have a meaningful, formal
education in Mission related disciplines, such as business
administration, including strategic planning, information systems,
finance, accounting and economics with 5-10 years of relevant
experience, however, competency and energy is the driver regardless
Extensive experience in MS Excel (including vlookups, macros, pivot
tables) and Access is a fundamental requirement.
Experience in SQL database query language and/or Sage 300/Accpac is
This position is for a hands-on professional who enjoys working on
a peer level with talented and committed colleagues, who has the
self-confidence to pursue their convictions and work independently
with broadly defined work objectives. Salary will DOQ. The position
is based in Los Banos, CA and it is expected that a candidate would
live within a 45 minute commute radius.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
guidelines. The Morning Star Company and its affiliates participate
Keywords: The Morning Star Company, Merced , Financial Accounting, Budgeting, and Analysis, Accounting, Auditing , Los Banos, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!