RN - Perinatal Safety Specialist
Company: Mercy Medical Center Merced
Posted on: December 6, 2018
Mercy Medical Center, a Dignity Health member, has been building a rich history of care in our community for more than 100 years. We have grown from a small one-story wooden structure into a major healthcare provider with a new 186-bed main campus, offering the latest in facility design and technology. Mercy also operates Outpatient Centers, a Cancer Center and several rural clinics.
Wherever you work throughout our system, you will find faces of experience with dedication to high quality, personalized care. Joining our 1,300 employees, 230 physicians and many volunteers, you can help carry out our commitment to providing our community with the excellence they have come to associate with Mercy Medical Center.
Reporting to the Director of Perinatal Services, the Perinatal Safety Specialist is responsible for the implementation, promotion, support and oversight of perinatal patient safety and quality of care initiatives and programs. The Perinatal Safety Specialist serves as a patient safety advocate and clinical role model in obstetrics by keeping abreast of changing national standards of clinical practice and the Dignity Health Perinatal Safety Initiatives; disseminating pertinent safety and specialty related information; participates in patient safety or administrative rounding; presenting patient and staff safety concerns to appropriate clinical forums; participating in and contributes to departmental performance review activities; and assisting and supporting the healthcare team when an adverse event or untoward outcome occurs.
- This individual implements and supports patient safety and quality of care initiatives.
- Collaborates with clinical and administrative leadership to deliver survey results to participants; works with clinical and administrative leadership to address themes and issues identified by the survey, promotes assists and supports competency based on-line education; performs periodic follow-up to confirm that clinicians have completed their education; and implements and supports Perinatal Safety initiatives as identified by Clinical Leadership.
- The Perinatal Safety Specialist monitors clinical outcomes: abstracts, records, analyses and reports Perinatal Safety data per Dignity Health guidelines; assesses the documentation of charts reviewed and provides feedback to clinicians; encourages staff to identify and report adverse events and near-misses; performs collaborative reviews of adverse occurrences and near-misses.
- Incorporates findings into educational efforts; participates in Root Cause Analysis (RCA); coordinates briefing, debriefing and analysis of selected charts with healthcare team members; contributes to Fetal Monitor (EFM) strip reviews.
- They will facilitate interdisciplinary communication and education: provide regular patient safety educational programs for staff; facilitate clinical drills for high-risk situations; tracks and reports attendance; promote the adoption of briefing and debriefing skills across disciplines; foster and promote participation by all clinicians in educational programs and clinical drills; facilitate and support teamwork-training program for all department members; and attend and actively contribute to Perinatal Safety network workgroups, conference calls, regional meetings and annual summit.
- Must possess and maintain a current Registered Nurse (RN) license with the state of California.
- Must possess and maintain a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate. Must possess and maintain a current Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a current Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a Current Certification in Advanced Electronic Fetal Monitoring (AWHONN) or NCC Sub-specialty certification in Electronic Fetal Monitoring (C-EFM)
- Minimum five (5) years current perinatal nursing experience.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word, Outlook Excel and Power Point. Experienced in medical record review.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize rapid cycle Plan Do Study Act (PDSA) and/or other appropriate improvement models in facilitating Performance Improvement (PI) teams/projects.
- Possess excellent Interpersonal and communication skills with excellent written and formal presentation skills.
- Possess critical thinking skills.
- Current knowledge regarding the standard of care, practice standards, regulatory requirements, and hospital policies/procedures pertaining to perinatal/neonatal patient care.
- Two (2) years nursing leadership experience as charge nurse, educator or nurse manager
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- NCC credential in In-patient Obstetric Nursing (RNC ? OB) RN, ACLS, BLS, NRP, AWHONN/NCC
Keywords: Mercy Medical Center Merced, Merced , RN - Perinatal Safety Specialist, Healthcare , Merced, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!