Flight Nurse (Float) - CALSTAR - CS12 & CS13 - Modesto, CA & Merced, CA
Company: REACH Air Medical Service
Posted on: February 3, 2020
OverviewThe CALSTAR Flight Nurse provides customer oriented high
quality patient care, in a safe and efficient manner. In every
situation the Flight Nurse does what is right for the patient based
on a thorough assessment and implantation of protocols, SOP's and
The Flight Nurse (Float) position is intended to increase medical
crew resources for immediate mitigation of controllable
Out-of-Service (OOS) time due to various short-term and extended
vacancies, including START team relief. The Flight Nurse (Float)
may service multiple base locations within a specific region as
- Delivers safe and efficient patient care by providing customer
oriented high quality nursing care to each patient throughout the
- Utilizes REACH clinical protocols to provide high quality
- Performs nursing expanded scope practice policies and
procedures to deliver high quality patient care in the transport
- Demonstrates cognitive and motor skills necessary to perform
nurse scope practice policies and procedures.
- Monitors, records, and reports to receiving staff, patient
condition and response to interventions.
- Properly utilizes aircraft radios and navigation tools to
assist in the safe and efficient transport of the patient.
- Represents REACH in public relations and safety in-services to
improve awareness and safety.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or
changed at any time at the discretion of management, either orally
or in writing.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current unrestricted RN license in State of practice.
- Minimum of three (3) years of emergency/critical care
experience (> 1 year of adult ICU preferred).
- PICU, NICU and CCT experience desirable.
- Current Certifications (Pre-Hire)
- Current AHA or ASHI Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Current AHA or ASHI Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Current AHA or ASHI Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- ACEP Advanced Pediatric Life Support (APLS) or
- ENPC Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course
- AAP Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Approved Trauma Certification within six (6) months of hire per
- National certification desirable upon application but required
within one (1) year of hire per Company policy
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate professionally, effectively and
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure, work efficiently
and accurately with frequent interruptions, and set and reset
- Presents a professional image as a REACH flight team
- Maintains a positive team attitude and cohesive working
relationship with nurses, paramedics, pilots, aircraft maintenance
technicians, communication specialists and all other supporting
- Maintains proficiency and exercises best practices regarding
relevant aviation SOPs, protocols and policies.
- Stays current on local EMS Agency and/or county protocols and
- Maintains currency in all required trainings and
- Responsible for maintaining competency on all aircraft
platforms within dedicated region.
- Travel is required for this position within assigned
- Requires activities requiring a moderate amount of standing,
sitting, and walking.
- Able to conduct activities requiring a moderate to rigorous
amount of static pushing, pulling, reaching and lifting (knuckle
height and ankle height).
- Capable of lifting 75lbs. floor to bench height.
- Capable of safe and expedient ingress/egress to and from
aircraft in undeveloped landing zones or unrefined, uneven
- Ability to hear routine aircraft and medical equipment
- Maintains a "duty" weight (body weight + uniform/equipment -
helmet not included) of less than 230lbs (weigh-ins every quarter)
for Rotor Wing (Helicopter) operations.
- Maintains a "duty" weight (body weight + uniform/equipment -
helmet not included) of less than 250lbs (weigh-ins required every
other month) for Fixed Wing operations.
- Must be able to wear a commercially available respirator mask
with proper fit, when required.
- Requires close and distant visual capability.
- Periodic hands to key ability (typing).
- Ability to work within a 24-hour job environment.
The Flight Nurse (Float's) duties are performed in either indoor or
outdoor environments. The Flight Nurse (Float) may be exposed to
routine office noises, moderate electrical or mechanical hazards
and frequent exposure to an aircraft hangar environment where the
Flight Nurse may be exposed to loud aircraft noise, fumes, gases,
odors, dust particles and mechanical/electrical and chemical
hazards. The Flight Nurse (Float) must be present at work site to
complete the job.
- Nomex full body flight suit
- Leather or Nomex boots
- Aviation Helmet
- PPE - latex gloves, goggles, and HEPA mask
- Hearing protection (plugs, band or head set)
Work Place Conditions
The Float Flight Nurse is physically based at an airport "crew
quarters" for 24 hour shifts and must be prepared at a moment's
notice (within 4 minutes) to begin air ambulance missions that last
from -- hour to 8 hours in duration. The crew quarters are equipped
with kitchen, shower, rest and sleeping facilities.
The current standard shift at REACH for flight crewmembers is seven
(7) rotating 24-hour shifts per every four (4) week period.
Occasionally, a flight shift may extend past 24 hours. The float
position will require overall scheduling flexibility. The Flight
Nurse (Float) will be required to maintain a schedule set forth by
the company based on operational needs. The Flight Nurse (Float)
should be prepared to serve the defined region by responding to
short notice temporary assignment/schedule changes - preferably
responding by beginning of next pay period. The Flight Nurse
(Float) will be utilized prior to the On-call System, anytime they
are prescheduled as an additional resource. The Flight Nurse
(Float) may participate in the on-call program, but this is NOT a
mandatory requirement for this role.
Travel to float assignments will be reimbursed per standard Company
policy.Additional InformationCALSTAR, a REACH Medical Holdings
Company, offers competitive benefits including medical, dental,
vision, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, as well as
a 401(k) plan. We also offer a flexible paid-time-off program and
voluntary supplemental life insurance packages.
REACH Medical Holdings, LLC is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer. All qualified candidates will receive
consideration for the position applied for without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital
status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or other
non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from
minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with
disabilities (including disabled veteran
Keywords: REACH Air Medical Service, Merced , Flight Nurse (Float) - CALSTAR - CS12 & CS13 - Modesto, CA & Merced, CA, Healthcare , Merced, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!