Company: Merced County
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Examples of Duties
Please Note: Applications will not be accepted without
submission of California Basic POST Certificate or California Basic
Academy Graduation Certificate or proof of current enrollment in a
Basic P.O.S.T. Academy.
Duties may include, depending upon assignment, but are not limited
to the following:
- Patrols assigned areas and answers calls for protection of life
- Conducts preliminary investigations and interrogates
- Tests for sobriety, performs CPR and First Aid, physically
restrains subjects and prisoners.
- Substantiate findings of fact in court.
- Serve warrants, subpoenas and make arrests; serves subpoenas;
- Responds to death scenes and secures area, examines body and
scene for forensic evidence.
- Gathers information to assist in determining cause of
- Coordinates and cooperates with responding personnel and
release of body and/or organs.
- Secures personal belongings and effects of the deceased,
notifies next of kin.
- May assist in the disposition of the deceased due to death by
- Refers questionable deaths to the Coroner's division.
- Delivers and executes civil processes such as writs of
attachment, possession and execution, subpoenas, summons and
- Assists and cooperates with other law enforcement agencies'
investigations and arrests.
- Lifts latent prints, takes pictures or makes sketches of crime
scene and takes plaster at crime scenes.
- Gather evidence and take statements in connection with
suspected criminal activities.
- Keeps firearms and other equipment in good working
- May function as a SWAT Team member or function as an undercover
officer for the detection and prevention of the sale of narcotics
and the arrest of drug offenders.
- Performs public relations and community policing activities to
include law enforcement education, public safety, and crime
- May be assigned to schools, community law enforcement offices,
correctional facilities, equestrian law enforcement, canine unit,
lake patrol, or other special assignments.
- Performs assigned shift responsibilities, maintains
confidentiality; follows supervisor's direction and department
rules and regulations; may assist with training new staff.
Duties as assigned in the Court Security Services Division:
- Primary duty is to serve as bailiff to the Superior Courts of
- Maintains security and preserve order in courtroom
- Holds, guards and transports prisoners from Detention to Court
- During court, takes charge of jury, witnesses and other
personnel involved in the cases.
- May make court room arrests.
- Provides support to other law enforcement agencies and Deputy
Sheriff/Coroners outside of court related duties.
- Develop a close working relationship with judges and court
personnel in order to ensure the efficient operation of the
- Keep records, prepare reports and perform related office work
- Protects assigned judge, jury, public and courtroom
- Prepares detailed reports of all activities; deliver and
execute civil processes.
- Transports persons arrested to jail or court.
Two (2) years of experience in law enforcement work equivalent to
Deputy Sheriff/Coroner I.
High school graduation or equivalence.
Possession of Certification of Completion from a Basic P.O.S.T
Academy and First Aid and CPR certificates.
Possess a valid California driver's license at time of appointment
Must be a United States Citizen
Note: Applications will be accepted with proof of current
enrollment in a Basic P.O.S.T. Academy. Appointments will only be
made after successful completion of Basic P.O.S.T. Academy.
- Respond appropriately to situations; performs
in-the-line-of-duty firearm responsibilities.
- Physically restrain subjects and prisoners; maintain strength,
endurance and agility.
- Enforce California Penal and Vehicle Codes.
- Follow orders and directions of senior staff in charge of
- Perform job duties under stressful conditions
- Analyze data, complete comprehensive reports, interpret
directions, procedures and regulations, and develop appropriate
- Communicate effectively with others in person and over the
- Maintain confidential information in accordance with legal
standards and/or County regulations.
- Maintain consistent/regular attendance and punctuality.
- Effectively represent the County, Sheriff and department with
- Conduct activities on uneven surfaces under various
- Lift and move with help objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Perform timely and required procedures, duties and
- Operate a personal computer and other office equipment.
- Establish, implement and achieve goals and objectives.
- Frequent use of depth perception, peripheral vision and color
- Frequently lift, carry, reach, push, pull, twist and manipulate
large and small objects.
- Kneel, bend, twist, squat, balance and crawl.
- Frequent use of hand-eye coordination; normal dexterity,
frequent holding and grasping.
- Frequent use of data entry device including repetitive hand and
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Regular attendance is an essential function.
- The general geography and topography of Merced County.
- Use and care of small fire arms; First Aid techniques.
- California Penal & Vehicle Codes; Laws of arrest and rules of
- Laws applicable to the apprehension, retention and treatment of
prisoners and juveniles.
- Principles of identification and fingerprint classification;
code of Civil Procedures and Civil Processes.
- Ability to:
- Observe and accurately remember names, faces, numbers,
incidents, and places.
- Understand and interpret laws and regulations relating to
arrest and rules of evidence, apprehension, retention and treatment
of prisoners and juveniles.
- Understand and accurately interpret the Code of Civil
Procedures and Civil Processes.
- Secure information from witnesses and suspects
- Effectively perform Deputy Sheriff/Coroner duties and
- Work in any area of law enforcement at an experienced
- Make independent judgments, adopt quick, and effective and
responsible courses of action during emergencies.
- Write clear, complete and comprehensive reports.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationship with those
contacted during the course of work.
- Meet standards of physical stature, condition, strength,
endurance and agility.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use and care for firearms.
- Perform notifications to next of kin of deceased with
understanding and empathy.
Keywords: Merced County, Merced , Deputy Sheriff, Other , merced, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!