Medical Records Technician I/II - Extra-Help Medical Records Technician I/II
Company: County of Merced
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Examples of Duties Benefits Supplemental Questions
This recruitment is being established to obtain a current
eligible list for both Full Time and Extra-Help vacancies as they
occur throughout Merced County. Extra-Help pay rate is up to a
maximum of $17.35 per hour for Level I and $19.13 per hour for
Level II. Extra-Help employees are not entitled to County benefits
and limited to 25 hours a week.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Chart auditing for Federal and State regulations.
- Event monitoring and group card monitoring for billing control
- Set-up and maintain charts and emergency services reports.
- Chart monitoring for unauthorized visits, under billing, over
billing, and delinquent reports.
- Transcribe medical reports including psychiatric evaluations,
psychometric testing and evaluations, using a variety of dictating
and transcribing equipment.
- Types statistical reports and prepares correspondence for
local, state, and federal agencies.
- May audit for Utilization Review control.
- Records, processes, and distributes finished material to
- Prepares correspondence for word processing and proofreads copy
- Schedules appointments for clients and assists them with
releases of information forms.
- Prepares a variety of reports, working with various computer
systems and software programs.
- Updates and maintains database files on computers.
- Performs a variety of moderate to complex office support
- Serves as a back up for the clinic's front desk area and/or
Telephone Systems Operator as needed.
Minimum Qualifications: MEDICAL RECORDS TECHNICIAN I
One (1) year of clerical experience in a medical field.
(Successful completion of a course in medical terminology may be
substituted for six (6) months of the required experience.)
MEDICAL RECORDS TECHNICIAN II
One (1) year of experience equivalent to a Medical Records
Technician I with Merced County with a working knowledge of medical
terminology, preferably in a Mental Health or Health field.
Desirable Experience for Both Levels:
Transcription with a hospital or psychiatric facility which
included transcription experience in a wide variety of medical
Type at a corrected rate of 45 words per minute from clear
- Operate a personal computer and other office equipment.
- Assemble, abstract and code information from patient medical
- Communicate effectively with others in person and over the
- Analyze data, interpret directions, procedures and regulations,
and develop appropriate responses.
- Perform job duties under stressful conditions.
- Respond appropriately to situations.
- Maintain confidential information in accordance with legal
standards and/or County regulations.
- Frequent use of depth perception, peripheral vision and color
- Frequently lift, carry, reach, push, pull, twist and manipulate
large and small objects.
- Sit, stand, or walk for extended periods.
- Kneel, bend, twist, squat, balance and crawl.
- Frequent use of hand-eye coordination.
- Frequent use of data entry device including repetitive hand and
arm motion. Occasionally lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Normal dexterity, frequent holding and grasping.
- Regular attendance is an essential function
- Extensive psychiatric terminology and medical terminology.
- Medical specialties, psychiatry, brand and generic drugs.
- Filing and information maintenance systems.
- Automated computer equipment and related applications
- Modern office methods, practices, procedures, and
- Mathematics and proper English usage, spelling, grammar and
- Coding and classification systems used in the preparation of
Mental Health and Health records and reports.
- Confidentiality requirements of the Welfare and Institutions
- The Utilization Review Process.
- Business and professional relationships and ethics within the
Mental Health or Health System.
- Purpose and use of medical records and charts.
- Laws, rules and regulations pertaining to medical records.
- Transcribe psychiatric reports at an acceptable rate of speed
without frequent reference to a medical directory.
- Understand and use medical/psychiatric symbols, terminology and
reference books and materials.
- Use Mental Health or Health Department coding systems and
manuals, depending upon area of assignment.
- Take responsibility and exercise good judgment in recognizing
scope of authority.
- Audit for Utilization Review control.
- Coordinate documentation of billable services with billing
- Prepare concise and accurate records/reports utilizing a
personal computer and software programs.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the
general public, co-workers and those contacted during the course of
- Recognize and extract pertinent medical information from forms,
charts and other documents.
- Perform general clerical work and develop program specific
office procedures and methods.
Keywords: County of Merced, Merced , Medical Records Technician I/II - Extra-Help Medical Records Technician I/II, Other , Merced, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!