Seed & Nursery Technician
Company: Sensient Technologies Corporation
Posted on: November 22, 2022
Position assists with and performs a variety of tasks in the
Research and Seed Departments. Primary jobs are planting &
harvesting of research field trials, spraying pesticides in local
Nursery, maintenance of research field equipment, and assisting in
Seed Production operations. Overnight travel (10-15%) required to
remote sites for planting and harvest operations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assist in all Research Nursery projects including:
* Erecting cage frames and cages in Research Nursery
* Hand planting of selected bulbs for Nursery cages
* Basic tractor work including disking, plowing, mulching, laying
drip tape, cultivating, and pulling beds
* Hand weeding when necessary
* Harvest of cage produced onion seed
* Maintain inventories for research seed, tags, cages, and other
* Cage washing, storage, and maintenance
* Act as lead person for other hourly and temporary workers as
* Collect data from Replicated Trials. Train and actively supervise
crews to grade material from each plot for various size, weight,
and defect measurements.
* Prepare tags and arrange bags for Rep Trial harvesting.
* Count and prepare seed packets for trial plantings.
* Participate in planting and harvest of plot trials at remote
location. Operate research plot planter and harvest sacker
* When directed, apply pesticides to Research Nursery using
appropriate equipment including tractor mounted sprayers, backpack
sprayers, and chemigation equipment.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* Carry out new research projects as assigned.
* Assist in onion seed production including:
* Planting & harvesting of seed fields.
* Seed milling & blending
* Correctly determine number of seeds/pound for seedlots
* Assist in maintenance of accurate seed inventory
* Assist in other basic laboratory, greenhouse, and tissue culture
* Ability to routinely lift up to 50 pounds
* Accurate math skills
* Valid California driver's license
* Work well with others
* Attentive to details
* Able to travel to remote sites for planting & harvest
* Supervise other hourly and temporary employees as assigned
* Able to communicate clearly and follow verbal and written
instruction in English
* Operate a wide variety of farm equipment
* Physically capable of passing a respirator fit test
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Education: High school diploma or G.E.D. required
2-4 years previous ag, field, or lab experience highly
Must be able to learn basic concepts of genetics and plant
Desirable: Bilingual English/Spanish and Basic computer skills
ABOUT SENSIENT NATURAL INGREDIENTS:
The Sensient Natural Ingredients group is part of Sensient Flavors
& Fragrances Group and is one of the largest producers and
distributors of dehydrated onion and garlic products as well as
chili powder, paprika, chili pepper and dehydrated vegetables such
as parsley, celery and spinach. These ingredients are used in many
of today's popular convenience foods. The Natural Ingredients unit
is located in Turlock, California.
As a dynamic and diversified global leader, we offer an excellent
salary and comprehensive benefits package. For more information,
visit our website at http://www.sensient.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: Sensient Technologies Corporation, Merced , Seed & Nursery Technician, Professions , Livingston, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!